Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tulips Blooming

Another Tulip Fest has come and gone, but the great weather and tulips themselves have stuck around. Yes, it is that time of the year again when Albany celebrates its Dutch heritage by gathering in Washington Park for music and festivities. This year it wasn't as crowded as most, I suspect because of the ban on drinking in public. It seems to me that most people celebrated in their homes or on their stoops to be able to drink without worrying about getting ticketed. Luckily, we have an amazing little courtyard for such occasions.

Aside from one girl who got way too drunk, way too early (around noonish) the courtyard festivities went off without a hitch. There were games, and booze and introductions to neighbors and meeting new people who were visiting Albany for this momentous occasion.

After the celebration in our courtyard died down, we headed to my front yard, also known as Washington Park, to see the headlining band at the Tulip Fest. They put on a pretty good show, however I must admit that I didn't watch much of it as I was on a mission searching for some vegetarian food from the plethora of vendors. Eventually I found a falafel dish that was very overpriced but also quite tasty. I guess anything at that point would have been tasty though.

Later on we made the trek to Pearl St. to see Awolnation play at Jillian's for the Tulip Fest after party. We must've arrived around 9ish or so, but we made it just in time for the band to start. There weren't as my people as I expected, given that it was a free show, so that was pretty nice. And I ran into a Biergarten friend who gave me a pass to the VIP section...which entailed less crowds. I did get a free beer which was a plus! By this point I was pretty beat, but I made sure to stop by McGeary's before calling it quits. All in all, it was some good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment