Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer in Albany

It's remarkable that it has been only two months since I moved into my apartment/new home in Albany. I just finished coordinating and running two back-to-back summer ESL sessions and finally I have a clear moment to reflect. The busy nature of these ESL sessions has somewhat impeded me from getting more involved in the Albany community as I ideally hoped for. Which is fine now that I will have some more free time.

It's been exciting, stressful, and fun, so there are no complaints from my end. However, it is bizarre to think that only 3 months ago, I was working non-stop for the study abroad provider and living and traveling around in Mexico. My life has changed dramatically; but I think the change can benefit me. As content as I am at this moment, I do have the sudden urge to zip off to another country; France was the recent daydream after watching a French film but Brazil also continues to creep in my thoughts.

Daydreaming aside, I do feel that this summer has been progressing along well. I joined a wonderful organic food co-op, I am in full force now with Couchsurfing, I bought a small car that's good on gas, I did some hiking and swimming, I went to my first wedding of a friend, I'm getting more serious about the guitar and I met up with friends from home, university and made some new ones along the way. I still have some big ideas though to make this Albany experience that much better. I'm creating a language exchange which will hopefully take off towards the end of the month, I need to buy a bike and I need to take some weekend trips (Montreal, Toronto, Cape Cod).

All in all, it's been a good couple of months...

3 comments:

  1. Who's wedding did you attend?! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig McDonald's...A friend from Argentina. You met him once when he visited Siena I believe. Good times!

    ReplyDelete