Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bureaucracy in Action

As much as I believe, or want to believe, that in an ideal world, the State can provide services as efficiently as the private sector, I found out that this day has yet to arrive in Albany.

I came to this dreaded conclusion after spending a mere two hours at the UAlbany campus. Thanks to Siena, I am able to study towards obtaining a Master's degree in Latin American Studies at UAlbany. I figured that I would get my feet wet by applying as a non-degree seeking student and just take one class this upcoming semester to see how I can balance work and school. Pretty straight forward enough I thought.

After the initial excitement of getting accepted waned, I was informed that I need to contact my adviser who holds a certain PIN needed for the registration process. After two months of unsuccessful attempts to contact this professor and the department by telephone and email (which I had to search for online as it was not provided) I was almost tempted to facebook the prof as he showed up somehow one day when I was looking through gmail contacts. Desperate times...

Alas, I decided to go to the campus and get some answers. In my acceptance letter, I was given an information sheet about obtaining my SUNY Card, getting a parking pass, using the gym etc. Easy enough, I thought. Let's get my SUNY Card.

I make my way to the office and inquire about this card. "You have to be registered for your classes first. And, oh, I think you need an AVN (this is the PIN)." Luckily the Registrar's is right behind me. After explaining that I know I need my AVN but haven't heard back from my adviser, I'm told, "You need your AVN to register for classes and only he can give you that." They point me in the direction of the department's office. I head over there feeling more and more anxious that I'm not going to get any answers.

Sure enough, all of the offices of the department had the lights shut off and the doors locked. No office hours listed. No signs that would indicate that their offices were simply closed or that they were gone for the summer. I return to the previous two offices I visited and explain the urgency of my situation. Deadlines are coming up, I want to get into the system and be ready for this upcoming semester and I have a full time job so I can't continue to take time off to keep coming here, paying the five bucks for parking and not knowing if I will get this number which has impeded every single process to becoming a student at the University. I'm told that someone may be able to get me my AVN at the office of General Advisement. The buck has been passed.

I find my way to this office thanks to the guidance of an older security guard. I speak with a PhD student who informs me that they can't help me out because my adviser is the only one on campus who holds this secret information. After explaining that I was only looking to take one class, the student asks who the professor is. "Oh yeah, I think he's on vacation now." Surprise. "Talk to the folks over at General Studies, they might be able to help you." Are we starting to see a pattern?

Office number four, here we go. "Is this the office for non-degree seeking students?" I inquire, "Yes it is." Finally, success! After showing them my paperwork, I am told that they only advise undergrad students, not graduate students. I start to reach a melting point, almost converting me into an ardent free trade market capitalist who's only desire is to privatize everything to avoid this bureaucratic nonsense...well that's not true, but I was immensely frustrated to say the least. But fortunately for me, and for all parties involved, this was the only office who made phone calls to the department, looked up some information on the website and found out that the department is closed until Monday. At Siena, this would have been step one and I would have saved myself a couple hours and a near ideological meltdown.

For kicks and giggles, I head over to the office of Transport and Parking to inquire about registering my vehicle. I fill out the paperwork and when I'm called in line, I'm told, "This should be no problem as long as you have your AVN and are registered for classes."

I smile and walk away.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for this little adventure...I'm struggling arguing to prove I am an actual New Yorker!

    ReplyDelete