Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rediscovering Albany Music

On Monday I had a great time exploring an old gem (under new management!) of Albany formerly known as the Muddy Cup. This café has a new name, the Drama Cup, but it still has a similar feel as its former self.

Although they are redoing much of the place, I was immediately excited after entering. Chris and I have been looking for a place to play some music and this is definitely it. Every Monday night, the Drama Cup hosts an open mic, where all sorts of musicians, artists, poets, comics showcase their material. The wide range of music and the friendly nature of the folks in attendance, offered a very welcoming environment. Although it was indeed a bit cold inside, the hot and tasty coffee resolved that problem.

In between sets, Chris and I discussed which songs we were going to play for the upcoming competition that has needs to contain a political element to the ensemble. It's as if the planets were aligning since politics are involved in almost everything we do.

This visit surely sparked something in me that has been lying dormant for a bit. I have been in a bit of a funk with school and work and this is just the revitalization I needed to start discovering things in Albany once again. I checked out the stepuppresents website for upcoming shows and looked into Valentines site. Now, I certainly want to make this a spot to grab some beers and listen to some live music.

http://www.albanyopenarts.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment